It was an interesting weekend for Fiancee S. and me. We travelled a few hours by car to visit Msgr. J., Stephanie's cousin and the man who will be marrying us. It was a beautiful weekend to drive from point A to point B. We also got a bit of wedding business taken care of: we went to see a vintage Rolls Royce that will carry me to the Church for our wedding, and convey Mrs. Geek and myself to the reception after we are married.
Aside from a pleasant Sunday morning spent with Msgr. J., the bulk of our trip was spent in various factory outlet malls along the way. We got some excellent bargains. The food geek in me was glad to find a nice, brand name 8qt stainless steel stock pot for only $25. The killer deal of the trip was a new London Fog top/rain coat for only $60 that I got at a "going out of business sale". The deal was so good that I got two: one for me, and one for my Dad for Father's Day. Otherwise, I believe I am now sufficiently armed with warm weather clothing for our honeymoon in Hawaii.
Of course, the trip did tend to underline the basic differences between men's and women's fashions in the modern marketplace. Fiancee S. both go into the Gap Outlet. For around $110, I come out with four polo shirts and three pairs of khaki shorts. She comes out with one outfit: a skirt, top, and matching cardigan (which she will be using for the wedding rehearsal.) Also looking at relative amounts of floorspace devoted to men's and women's fashions, women's fashions got about 60% of the space, with the remaining 40% split about evenly between men's and toddler's clothing. I got a better deal on price, but suffered from abysmally limited selection when it comes to clothing style. There's some sort of very basic inequity here... but I'm not sure why it exists.
on 2004-03-29 at 11:38 a.m.
The Wayback Machine - To Infinity And Beyond