It was a long trip back from the Land Of My Birth, but we are home. The schedule played out something like this (in hours and minutes):
- 0:00 - Leave my parents house for airport in nearby city for flight leaving at +3:00. It is mid-afternoon.
- +1:30 - Arrive at airport to discover that flight is delayed until +4:00. Attempt to check in. Discover that Mrs. Geek's business class upgrade is not entered correctly in the computer, and cannot be completely resolved for the last leg of the flight.
- +3:00 - Flight is now supposed to leave at +3:30. Get on plane and sit on plane and sit on plane.
- +4:00 - Flight takes off.
- +5:45 - Arrive at major hub city. Taxi all the way around the airport because arriving gate assignment has changed. Wait in plane for jetway driver to arrive from original gate assignment.
- +6:00 - Get off plane at hub airport. Discover that connecting flight that was supposed to be leaving at +7:00 is now leaving at +8:30.
- +7:15 - Finally get to talk to the gate agent for connecting flight regarding Mrs. Geek's ticket. Upgrade issues settled. Yay! Watch jet way be pushed forward and pulled back three times for departing flight (not ours, thank God!) as additional passengers arrive before plane can push off from the gate.
- +8:15 - Board plane to final destination and wait.
- +8:45 - Still waiting, because of baggage loading.
- +9:40 - Plane finally taxis to the runway and takes off. Mrs. Geek and I are unable to sleep on the flight. Passenger in front of me has periodic coughing fits that sound like he's coughing up a lung. Hope it's not that guy with resistant tuberculosis.
- +13:50 - Finally arrive at destination. Got to baggage claim where passengers from three other flights (including one diverted from a nearby airport who are rather irate) are milling around.
- +14:25 - Claim baggage. Go to long term parking shuttle stop.
- +14:40 - Shuttle arrives.
- +15:00 - We get in our car and leave.
- +15:20 - We arrive home. House is safe and sound.
- +15:50 - We go to bed.
- +19:00 - Our alarm goes off because Mrs. Geek has yard monitor duty before school starts.
That's three hours of sleep, people. We were hurting units yesterday. Mrs. Geek went to work. As I also have a cold, I elected to work from home.
on 2008-01-04 at 6:26 a.m.
The Wayback Machine - To Infinity And Beyond