Since today is St. Patrick's Day, that most Irish-American of saints feast days, and, since I believe myself to be of both Scotch-Irish and famine Irish descent, I have a few resolutions for myself for St. Patrick's Day this year:
- I promise to only have black and tans using Guiness and Harp, not Guiness and Bass.
- I promise to warmly meditate on that pinnacle of nostalgic Irish American film making "The Quiet Man" starring the great Swedish actors John Wayne (born Marion Michael Morrison), Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, and Victor McLaglen.
- I promise to be warm and cordial to all "Irishmen for a day" including Ngo Nguyen, Uhuru Nkoye, Srinivas Krishnapalamurthy and Kim Jong Soon.
- I promise not to hit fat, drunk men with beer guts who wear leprechaun hats and bright green shirts that say "Kiss me, I'm Irish."
- I promise not to wear a kelly green leisure suit, ever.
- I promise to listen to The Chieftains at least once today.
- I promise to learn to dance the "Siege of Ennis" one of these years.
- I promise to consider the profound question of whether proper corned beef should be boiled, broiled, or braised.
- I promise to not pass out naked on the hood of someone's car with a shamrock drawn on my back side with a green permanent marker.
- I promise to wonder if McDonald's still sells "Shamrock Shakes" in March, and wonder when I last saw them advertised.
- I promise that I will not even attempt to speak the Gael talk today... even if I do have a drink.
- I promise not to treat St. Patrick's Day as "amateur drinkers night".
*sigh* If only others did the same.
on 2004-03-17 at 11:41 a.m.
The Wayback Machine - To Infinity And Beyond